This is a brief summary of the I4G Circle monthly community webinar for the month of August 2022. By Oluwaseun Dabiri. Which I found very beneficial and thought to share.
He went straight to the point, sharing 5 actionable steps we can follow to build our portfolio and put our work Out there.
- Build Projects:
- Take your time to build projects. Search for project inspirations and implement them.
- Document Your process:
- Especially for Backend developers use platforms like GitHub gist, swagger, postman, to document your API and share with people who might want to work with them etc.
- Capitalize on writing things like solutions to a problem you encountered. Share how you solved it, and others can avoid possible occurrences.
- Try challenging yourself to write once a week, or once every two weeks. And be sure to share them on other social media platforms like LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.
- Use platforms like Hashnode, Dev.to, and medium.
- The more you write the more you become visible.
- Contribute :
- Try to look for projects/products on google, GitHub, and the likes to contribute to.
- For example, if a designer designs a product. Take it upon yourself to bring the design to life as that contributes to your Portfolio.
- Contribute to an open-source project.
- Contribute to a friend’s project.
- Networking and community:
- This is very important, that is how you get people who speak on your behalf.
- Join a community and be active.
- Attend events: physically or virtually. Effort in attending physical events. Don’t be shy there, get to know people, and introduce yourself.
Advice from questions answered:
- Whatever your level is, make an effort to contribute still.
- Your portfolio grows as your experience grows. Do not be shy, just start somewhere. Build the portfolio according to your skill set.
- Do not lie about your portfolio. Even if it is only HTML you know, write it that way.
- To be hired as a frontend developer, most companies prefer that you are at least proficient with one frontend framework.